Monday, August 16, 2010

Oh Happy Day!! Silver Dawn

Silver loves blowing kisses.  She loves waving bye-bye to Daddy in the mornings - she'll run down the sidewalk wildly waving her arm and blowing kisses.  Her kisses she would give on the cheek used to be her putting her cheek next to yours.  Now, just in the last week they are full smacks!

Silver loves brushing her teeth.  She doesn't move her arm back and forth, she moves her head side to side :)
Silver is full of life and fun!  She doesn't walk anywhere, she either runs, flits, flies, jumps, or twirls there.  She usually has her arms pumping as she runs :)
She can get up on the sinks and all counter tops with the aid of a stepping stool that she packs from room to room. 
Silver loves babies and she packs her babies around all day long.  She gives them bottles and wraps them in blankies.  She is either toting a baby or a puppy most of the time.
I was worried about how she would react to a baby because she is pretty aggressive some times to other kids - but babies have become her thing!

This sums up our girls - River buckled into the baby swing, loves to take things cautiously.  Silver, 1/2 hanging out takes life at full-speed!
Silver is the master of funny expressions :)
We love to play water balloons and have fun outside.
We set up the inflatable pool underneath the slide we have out back.  It's neat that our house is the hang-out spot.  We have 10 year olds that love to come play in our backyard because we're one of the only houses with grass.  They love to play on the swingset too.



Silver is an expert fly-hunter.  Here she is swatting flies. 

River was done with her pacifier (we call them Nuks) at 6 months.  She would spit it out and didn't want it anymore.  Silver LOVES her nuk.  We've been working on not using the nuk all the time before the baby gets here.  She gets her nuk  for nap and bedtime, and is pretty good about spitting it out in her crib before getting out.  

Loves to Cuddle!
I like to take pictures of things that I see regularly.  One day they'll be too big to fit in shoping carts.  Until then, I'll enjoy having them with me all the time.


Silver loves telephones.  She can tell when I'm talking to Daddy on the phone, and jumps up and down asking to talk to him. 
Multi-tasking already.

Silver Dawn is Potty Trained!
OH HAPPY DAY!!!
     I wasn't really looking forward to 2 kids in diapers, and Silver is still pretty small - 20 months, so I was hesitant about taking away the diapers to potty training her. With River she was older and understood that there were no more diapers and she totally bought into the idea of big-girl panties. Silver's still too small to understand that concept.
     I started running her to the potty when I'd catch her going #2. I'd take off the diaper so the poop would fall into the toilet and then tell her that that is where the poop goes.
     I'm sure you really want to know all this, but I'll look back and want to know what I did, so this is mainly for my future :) Sometimes as a Mom, I get pretty excited about the little things - the other day it was a foam soap dispenser that you only need a little soap and the rest water. Yes, I do get excited about random things, but that's what makes life fun!! This week many of my exciting moments were each time she tinkled, it is a really great thing!
     So back to poop - Silver doesn't like being dirty or wet, and she LOVES candy, so this was her thing!!  I kept her in the diaper, but took her to the potty regularly, and she got a candy for sitting there and reading a book. After a while, she tinkled and got a handful of Skittles! After that, she only got candy when she went and I changed her diaper regularly so it would feel dry, and she got used to it being dry and didn't like it wet at all.
       She would come to me throughout the day and ask with hand outstretched for "Tandy!" I would say that she gets a candy when she goes potty, so she says "potty" and runs, and goes!  This is also a good Mommy/Silver time.  We read books together and I give praise regularly, so she really enjoys it.  Another thing that was important to Silver was choices - she would choose which panties to wear and which potty to go in - her small one or the big one.
     Another reason I didn't switch this time to just panties is we took a trip up North for almost a week, I was hesitant to make the change a week before many, many hours in the truck. Last Monday we started with panties - I think the first 2 days we probably had 50 accidents. I like to do a t-shirt and panties without any pants on so that I can either catch her accident and run to the potty, or she'll feel it running down her legs and realize what's going on. It all clicked by Wednesday. Wednesday and Thursday we had considerably less accidents and she's been completely 100% dry Friday Saturday and Sunday, even during naps :)
     I still put a diaper on her at night, it's 50/50 if that's dry or not, but she's understanding the concept, and some nights it is dry. I think I'll wait until that's regularly dry before panties for bedtime, I'm not really up to changing a wet kid and bed at 4:00 in the morning right now :)
     I was thinking next time I potty train - I'll give myself an incentive too. I'm pretty $$ motivated - which is why Silver is Potty trained - think $40+ a month for diapers and wipes, not to mention not having any more diaper rashes or diapers to constantly check and change. So next time I'll give them a candy for going potty and drop a quarter in a jar for me each time they tinkle which means no diaper to change!!
     One thing I noticed with both River and Silver is their deep sense of accomplishment in being able to do this.  They grow up in their own eyes and mine as well.  They are no longer babies - they are officially BIG girls!
 Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment