Sunday, November 30, 2014

Silver Lining


I LOVE music!
Good music touches my soul, comforting, cheering, lifting, and strengthening,

I have had so many many dear and kind people ask what they can do for us.
For River.  For me and Colt, and for our girls.
I have a great way that you can help us!  I want to make several playlists of different kinds of songs:

Gospel
Spiritual
Fun
Exercise
Encouragement
While Working
When needing a lift
Etc!

Send me the names of your favorites!  Spotify is an app that you can look up the songs, and put them in playlists.  The free version shuffles the songs in each of your playlists and the $10/month version lets you play your playlists in order or skip around.

I will then post our playlists of favorites!

River Silver and I enjoyed going to Zumba.  It was a time to excersize, dance and spend fun time together.  River and I put on some fun music and danced.  We try to excersize at least once every day - depending on how she feels and is up to - music always helps :)

Here River is scooting around on her rolly chair.  
This picture to me is all about the Silver Lining!  I love how her shirt even has Silver thread in it!

Silver has asked me several times recently why we named her Silver:
There are many many reasons I love the name Silver - just a few:
*Shine
*The Lord shall sit as a refiner and purifier of Silver 
(another post about that another time!)
*Silver Lining

We found this little gem of a song.  Silver Lining by Stephanie Smith:  click the Link below from EFY (especialy for youth) 2014  This is such a cute song and just reminds me of summer time:  


Silver Lining:
Sometimes there is stormy weather
That makes us want to run for cover
But what if we stopped to look around
And dance a little while its pouring
Cause living life inside is boring
We’d be missing all the sights and sounds
Even if the clouds are coming and the wind is blowing
We can still enjoy the breeze
Cause we know the sun is shining
Even when it’s hiding
If we look then we can see
the Silver Lining

So no matter what we’re facing
In every single situation
There is always hope to light the way
We see the little things that go right
When we look on the bright side
There is a rainbow after the rain

If we look closer we can see
There is beauty in everything
In the up downs and in betweens
We will find
The Silver Lining

Pictures of what the Silver Lining Means to Us:

Rolling, kicking, throwing ball back and forth.  Volleyball!
Smiles!
One of the excersize machines downstairs that River uses.
I love that she focuses on getting  better.  She wants to use and build up her muscles when she feels good.

Bouncing Big Ball Fun!

River and I read a Friend magazine article about a boy that spent his time learning to play the guitar instead of video games.  At the end of the summer he had developed a great talent.  That sparked a conversation about what can we do with this time to really learn and develop something.  We thought about many different kinds of instruments and she chose a keyboard.  She has been so cute learning "Let it Go" for Silver.  When Silver came up for Thanksgiving she wanted to surprise her with a birthday party - several weeks in advance and have learned the song for her.  There are   "5 Finger Piano" books that are simplified Disney, Christmas, from movies, tons of songs.  She had a new friend stop by and she also can play "Let it Go!"  They enjoyed playing the piano together and playing in the play room.  

Another talent River wanted to explore was sewing.  She sewed up cute blankets for her sisters.  She worked hard for 3 days to finish them up for them before their Thanksgiving visit.  

Silver Lining:  Cute headbands!

Card games with hospital friends.

Ronald McDonald Playroom!


Silver Lining:  New Friends!


Silver's Birthday Party

Sprinkles!


The sticker on the back of my van :)


D&C 25:12  For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yeah, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.
D&C 136:28 If thou art merry, praise the Lord with singing, with music, with dancing, and with a prayer of praise and thanksgiving.  vs 29  If thou art sorrowful, call on the Lord thy God with supplication, that your souls may be joyful.  vs. 31 My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the gloy that I have for them.

I love how music can express every feeling of your soul!

6 comments:

  1. We love getting your updated posts! Holdyn looks at River's pictures over and over. We still pray for her (and you) each and every day! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this with us Karin. These updates are so precious and encouraging. Tonight while I was rocking JJ to sleep we were serenaded by Jakob singing "I Stand All Amazed" to Caleb in the other room until he finally drifted to sleep. I was filled with amazement once again that we were blessed with these precious souls to care for here on earth while they journey. Our children are priceless gems... You are wise to ask for music. Music is a powerful tool. We love you and miss you!! ... I still can't believe that we're not there with you... Hugs though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your posts. Silver is so spiritually strong. It is great that she is still learning talents, doing service and excercising. Music opens our soul to God's love. Love you guys. Laura Bowler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I meant River. So sorry. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi to our dear friends. I love looking at all the pictures and reading about your adventures. You are definitely a Forever Family. River and her sisters will always be my flower girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! And sorry it's taken me a while to comment. My name is Heidi - Lena Baron is my good friend (we grew up together) and she mentions you frequently. I am so sorry to hear about your sweet River. From your posts, it appears that you are doing the best you can to find that silver lining and learning how to find joy in your trials. Here is a link http://jhhamiltonhappenings.blogspot.com/2012/12/finding-joy-gratitude.html
    to a blog post I did while my son was in the hospital & it fits well with your goal of finding the silver lining. He spent the first 2 months of his life in hospitals - including the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. We lost him last year, but he touches our lives every day. You can find his story from the link at the top of the blog.
    I digress. Songs. Music was so healing and instrumental for us in every stage of Link's life - both while he was here and now that he is gone. There is nothing that brings joy and comfort like music - and it is one of the core ways that Heavenly Father gives me messages. Here are some suggestions for the categories you listed:
    Gospel
    Spiritual - I find so many messages in hymns when I listen to the words. Seriously. Especially when we made it to church when Link was in the hospital, I felt like the hymns were hand-picked for me. Cherie Call is a favorite at our house as well. Most of her songs touch my heart immensly. EFY compilation CDs contain some of the most inspiring, touching songs I've heard. The My Turn on Earth soundtrack always gives me perspective & my other kids love it. Some other favorite Christian artists include: Nichole Nordeman & Kathryn Scott

    Fun - The album we listened to most while Link was in the hospital is Anchor, by Mindy Gledhill. It is the most feel-good album I own and also fits under inspirational and encouragement. I always think of Link when I hear those songs.

    Exercise - it's hard for me to find clean exercise songs... most of the general ones I find have an inappropriate message or are just loud. Me & my kids actually love the Mousercise Album & the Choo Choo Soul album. It really does make me want to move! Some other songs on my workout playlist: Opposites Attract by Paula Abdul, Clumsy by Fergie, I ran Flock of Seagulls, Jump by Van Halen, You spin me round by Dead or Alive.

    Encouragement - most of the ones for gospel would count as encouragement. I like Michael Mclean, too.

    While Working - I'm a sucker for most oldies songs - John Denver, Cat Stevens, Anne Murray, Tennesee Ernie Ford, Simon & Garfunkel, Kenny Loggins, Tom Petty, Jim Croche, & the Beatles are all on my phone & can get me through most days :) Oh - and some new ones - Kina Grannis, & Pentatronix.

    Not sure if you're into country, but these are my fave artists: Joe Nichols & Josh Turner both have AMAZING voices. Love a lot of Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley & Rascal Flatts, & Dixie Chicks.

    I also have a fun romantic playlist. Having a child in the hospital does not lend itself to much romance, but I find that it is imperative to not ignore your marriage - you both need each other & coming together is so important for both you AND your child. Here are some of my favorite run romantic songs: Love you out Loud by Rascal Flatts, Be My Baby Tonight & Grubby County Auction by John Michael Montgomery, Wrapped around her finger by Brad Paisley, Real Love by Regina Spektor, Hey Good Lookin' by Tennesee Ernie Ford, Two of a Kind by Garth Brooks, Bubbly by Colbie Calliat, Every Heartbeat by Amy Grant

    I would love to find out your favorite artists & songs, too! I always love fresh songs to add to my playlists.

    ReplyDelete