Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Brain Surgery A new chapter in our journey

Our world has changed. Drastically.
Friday April 3rd was the date we’ve been looking forward to for weeks as the day we would head home from Texas!!  Round 2 was officially finished on the 3rd, so we were ready to pack and finally head back to Utah!  For her to get sick enough for her to be admitted inpatient in the hospital April 2nd made it all the harder because in all of our minds we were done!!


April 2nd River and I came to the hospital for her last clinic visit, labs and CT scan. She had been throwing up for days and was really nauseous with migraines. CT scan showed an inflammation in her intestines which everyone thought it was a virus and would just run it’s course.

River was very weak and frail. And the detached and emotional state she was in we thought was a side effect of the medication she was receiving to try to control the throw up and nausea. Constant migraines could be explained by the dehydration.  And of course the abdominal pain needed to tag along too.

As I was helping River in the bathroom she collapsed. I was holding onto her so she didn’t hit her head. After that she went farther downhill. CT scan showed a large mass in her brain. Follow up MRI showed it was a tumor that was bleeding and putting a lot of pressure on her brain. It also found around 11 more smaller spots of cancer.


Colt and I then have had a full 2 days of hard conversations, asking heartbreaking questions and difficult decisions. We feel so deeply blessed to have amazing teams both at Texas children’s and Primary Children’s in SLC with drs from many different disciplines, including oncology and neurosurgery.  
We decided to do brain surgery yesterday to remove the largest tumor and hopefully relieve a lot of that pressure and side effects of that. 

The location that it is in affects verbal ability.  She was  mostly communicating with gentle head nods and shakes. Usually the words were so quiet or confused that it’s hard to make it out.  She was sleeping most of the time under the different medications to control her nausea.  The last 3 days she has been awake most of the time, probably from the steroids used to decrease the swelling. She  has been much more awake, more able to communicate with words.   But with more awareness comes more pain.

It reminds me of the scripture on opposition -  For if they never should have ​​​bitter​ they could not know the sweet — the hospital is the worst of times....and the times when I feel very close to God and so grateful for River and her life.  I see the best in people. Everyone around me is so compassionate and gives River the best of care.

With Covid only one parent can come to the hospital. Colt can’t even swap me out or come visit her. I’m the only one cleared by security to be here. The hospital is the very last place I want River to be right now with Covid-19... But how profoundly grateful I am that this is an option, this was literally life and death for her. The hospital is understaffed right now. I am so amazed by the doctors and nurses that are working so hard with both all the normal hospital stays and all the covid-19 concerns. To come take care of these kids is a special thing to be the recipient of such compassion.

 Colt was given a special exception to come to the hospital to see her before the surgery and give her a priesthood blessing. It was such a beautiful time.  Times like this the veil gets pretty thin.  We had a rare window when she was able to communicate with us. We were able to let her know they found the reason for her headaches and that the surgery would try to help with that pressure. We were able to understand her words and she understood us as well as she could.  We couldn't explain everything to her but enough for now and more when she is able.   I’ll be forever grateful for that sweet time we had together.


And now to the hardest news of all. This is extremely rare that her liver cancer has spread to the brain. This liver cancer in her brain doesn’t respond well to treatment. We’ve now moved from curative treatments to quality of life and hopefully to be able to spend some time with sisters and Ridge.


One breath. One step. One decision at a time.  These decisions will be taken one at a time depending on how she is doing and what we feel the next step should be.
River had brain surgery yesterday. It went smoothly. She was stable during the surgery. She took a long time waking up but she is able to move everything and communicate!  While still limited in ability to speak it is much more than before. They felt that they were able to get one big tumor. 

I was only able to watch a few minutes of general conference this Sunday.  I was able to catch a snippet of Elder Holland’s talk in between CT, MRI and Drs giving us the news of the tumor. It was a whirlwind.  His talk touched my soul deeply. He spoke of truth, love and hope. I am a witness that this is an Apostle of Jesus Christ. Everything he spoke about the spirit has witnessed to my spirit is true. Priesthood - the power and authority to act in the name of God is upon the Earth. And because of that power and authority Temples. Holy houses of God to seal families forever. The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and has continuing revelation today. I invite you to come, listen to an apostles words:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/general-conference/2020/04/media/6147245413001?lang=eng

We have cried many tears. It hurts so, so, so much because we love her so much. But we are peaceful knowing whose hands she is in and having complete trust in Christ’s ability to comfort and heal hearts. Complete trust in God’s plan. God is our loving Heavenly Father.  The weather since Sunday has matched my tears. There are rain clouds and thick fog. The raindrops are running down the window as heaven is crying with us.
Many people have mentioned our faith and how we can come through this.  We have a sure foundation in our faith. An anchor to our souls in this awful storm.

Helaman 5:12
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Come to Christ. He will heal your broken heart.   I have missed Colt’s presence, but have not felt alone. There is an unseen strength from heaven and the Grace of Christ. We talked with the kids starting and ending our heart to heart by singing “families can be together forever” We shed many many tears and along with the heartbreak felt peace and comfort.

Ridge was watching all of us cry and out of the blue: “Rivvy be okay. Rivvy see Jesus in the hospital.”  He and River have a special bond.  "out of the mouth of babes..."

I asked Colt before we separated and it would be just me caring for River around the clock how am I going to do brain surgery recovery without him?
He answered “love”
Just love her. 

It all comes down to love
Thank you to all our family and friends who love River so much. Thank you for your prayers and your thoughts. I would love you to share with us scriptures and thoughts that lead to God and hope. The scriptures from ancient prophets and talks from modern apostles and prophets have helped us feel close to heaven at this time.
What a special time of holding her hand. Rubbing her feet. Looking in her eyes. 

In the end.. It really is all about love...


.

29 comments:

  1. I love you and your family. You all are great examples of strength through the storms of life.💕🦋💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you, but I know Star - and she was a guide in my life as a young freshman. I'm weeping now for your family and the heartache of having a child you love so much. Thank you for your strength. I know that the veil is thin and that God loves each of us. I'm so sorry that this trial is one you will face. I will be fasting tomorrow for River and pray that she is able to spend time with family without pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers to your family. May you find comfort and peace during this time. ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes are filled with emotion and my heart aches for River and your family.she is such a precious and choice spirit...thank you for sharing her with all of us and for sharing her story and your thoughts, feelings, and testimony...your inner strength inspires us...please tell River that Mrs. Christensen loves her, and may you and your family feel the loving arms of our Savior around you to comfort and bring peace to your hearts..our thoughts and prayers are with you?.we love you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want you to know that I pray for River every morning and night; I pray for her by name, not just collectively. May the Lord be with your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Through the tears, I send you my love. Im sure it seems like your ups and downs would the heart monitors if you could chart them �� I am grateful for the comfort you are feeling. So many prayers .... It really is all about love.
    Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alma 7:12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

    He is our sure foundation and knows our trials intimately. When we turn to him he can succor us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words fill my eyes with tears and my heart aches for you all. River is such a sweet spirit. Thank you for sharing her with us and sharing your love, example and testimony. I love you all soooooo much. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was both beautiful and heartbreaking. I have watched this journey silently from Layton, Utah. Our warrior son, Tyler, also fought this same cancer. As rare as it is, it's so hard to think another teenager so close to our home is fighting it. Tyler fought for a year, and we had so many of the same challenges as you are facing. My heart aches for you. Such a difficult time. I also, like you, saw so many tender mercies and miracles, and I knew that we had more 'with us than were with them'. We felt angels, from both sides of the veil, ministering to our every need. Please know that my prayers are with you as you navigate this difficult, beautiful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry your family has to go through this. I truly believe River is an angel on earth. Love you all, Jennifer Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for the drastic change and the terrible heartbreak that has come along with it. I cried the whole way reading through this, so can only imagine the many tears you have shed actually living through it. I can only imagine how daunting this is and am praying and fasting for your whole family today, especially River.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please know that we are praying for River and your whole family from British Columbia, Canada. May God bless and keep you at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chris & Lisa Norman
    Friends of Jane & Carl Cluff

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has to ge the hardest thing to go through. Be strong and trus God he is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Taylor (Brock) family in Utah is thinking about you all. Sending love ❤️
    -Jeff, Jodee, Marcus (Kendra and Eibhleann), Mason and Baylee

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cried when I read this. I'm still crying. I've never had to face anything like this so I can't say I understand, but my heart hurts for you and rejoices in the comfort you are being blessed with. Remember how many people's love and prayers are with you in this. You are our representative of that love as the one physically in the hospital with her, as Jesus Christ is our representative to our Father in Heaven. I love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. sent you an email today - praying this for you right now:
    "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too." (2Cor. 1:3-5)

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart is breaking for you and your family. Please give River a hug for me. Your family is in my prayers. She is such a special girl and she is so lucky to have such a loving family and a wonderful mom by her side. Sending you hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Caitlin Cannon FaganApril 11, 2020 at 10:00 PM

    Karin, Caitlin Fagan here, Primary Chorister here. Absolutely moved to tears from reading this. My heart breaks for you, River, and the entire family. How I wish I would hug little Ridge right now and sing Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam. Several years ago my SIL had a brain tumor and was treated at MD Anderson. I know River is in the best of hands, even in these drastic times. Sending you so much truth, love, and hope and keeping your family in my prayers. Xoxo. -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your beautiful heartfelt post and your dear family has touched me profoundly. I am grateful for our brief interactions in Primary here in Houston. I pray that you feel heaven near you and angels are close to lift and support you and your precious family. Much love to you—Andra Huber
    ...he shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection... Moroni 7:40-44

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your beautiful heartfelt post and your dear family has touched me profoundly. I am grateful for our brief interactions in Primary here in Houston. I pray that you feel heaven near you and angels are close to lift and support you and your precious family. Much love to you—Andra Huber
    ...he shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection... Moroni 7:40-44

    ReplyDelete
  23. I look up to your family so much! You are teaching us all what it's like to not let your faith waiver, trust in God , love and Cherish time with our family and stay grateful through trials and so much more. I pray for sweet River and your family! Sending my love to you all! ���� In my scripture study this morning I thought of you while reading this Mosiah 23:12-16 people did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their hearts to him; and he did know the thoughts of their hearts.
    The voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.
    And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
    The Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.
    So great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again,saying;Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bandage.��

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karin! I just bawled my way through this update. Your strength through your faith is incredible. We love your sweet family so much. I just told Mya and she can't stop crying either. Sending our Love to you all!

    These words come to mind when I think of River (and you too): "meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon [her]" -Mosiah 3:19 You are both everything the Lord asks of you and more.

    Alma 7:11–12
    Book of Mormon

    11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

    12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."

    I know Jesus and our Heavenly Father are acutely aware of each and every emotion, pain, joy, and miracle you are experiencing. Through His grace and your faith I know you are and always will be together forever.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mya wanted to share a song with River:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKgZEPomBGk

    Daughters - Jenny Reynolds

    The world moves so fast
    It's full of retouched pictures
    Golden glitter
    But we're more than that
    We're different lights all shining
    Burning brightly
    And everywhere we go
    We know
    We are daughters
    Of a king who shows us
    We're already enough
    We can lift each other
    As we're finding our way
    He helps our faith to grow stronger
    So we know
    We know
    We are daughters
    He sees our worth
    Every heart is priceless
    He reminds us
    As we go forth
    He is always listening
    To each word we speak
    Everywhere we go
    He knows
    We are daughters
    Of a king who shows us
    We're already enough
    We can lift each other
    As we're finding our way
    He helps our faith to grow stronger
    So we know
    We know
    We are daughters
    The roads that lie ahead are countless
    We each play different parts
    No matter where our footsteps takes us
    We know
    That we are
    Daughters
    Of a king who shows us
    We're already enough
    We can lift each other
    As we're finding our way
    He helps our faith to grow stronger
    So we know
    We know
    We are daughters

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello, my name is Amy Melissa Yano, and I'm Kanako and Hachiro Suzuki's American friend living in Japan very nearby to their house. They share with me often your get togethers, your photos, and ask me to always be praying for your sweetheart family, especially your daughter River. I'm also a Christian (Seventh Day Adventist), but not attending my church because of bullying towards myself and 2 daughters about 14 yrs ago. Anyways, ever since I became friends with Kanako and Hachiro, they have shared their stories and videos of their staying with you in the summer months. They have shared with me your daughter's struggle with health, and now the issue of tumors in her brain. I'm praying that the power of the laying on of hands heals her like it did me when I was just 13 or 14yrs old. About 32yrs ago, I had a tumor like bump on my left temple then. I remember getting checked out on a Wednesday by skin and brain surgeons. They said that they would have to do surgery by the next week, if ointment didn't help swelling go down. Well, the bump was growing so rapidly that by Friday it was pushing my Glasses off my face crocked??. Anyways, I really didn't want surgery, so I begged for the laying on of hands on Saturday Sabbath at our church. All deacons, and deaconesses, and pastor, and my parents laid their hands on my head after anointing with oil. By that next Monday, 3 days later, I had NO bump, NO tumor could be found. My doctors didn't know what to say but unbelievable. And I said back to them, believable, because with God anything is possible, because the word impossible has the word possible inside it. So I pray this Prayer, Lord God our Father, Please may she be healed, I pray her life be extended, I pray her most hoped for dreams come true for her. In Jesus's precious name, AMEN FOREVER����☮️����‼ Sincerely Amy and family in Japan,������������������������������������

    ReplyDelete
  27. 👩👨👧🧒👧🐱🇺🇸🇯🇵🗻🗾💖💖💖💖💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love you Karin, River and all. God though he does not take away all our aches and pains, will give us peace through it all.

    ReplyDelete